A room of our own for the rantings, ravings, thoughts, and inspired writing of the self defined and those who will join us in breaking the silence. What's your song?

Tear this Skin

Tear this skin to the muscle,
bone, sinew, & blood -
down to the base inside of us all
in this one race: Human

Acknowledge and honor our differences, but don't be afraid
to talk about the injustices that have been carried out because of them.

The only way to move forward is to begin the dialogue
face our fear of what may be assumed about ourselves
what does it mean for me to possess white skin
and freckles
and blue eyes
and blond hair
?????????????

What does the texture of my hair represent to me?
What does it represent to you?

How can I repair this divide in me?
To know, down to the bone, that Africa is home -
but also know that the skin I was born into represents Privilege?
and Injustice!
and Inequality!
and Violence!
and Oppression!

I want to tear off my skin.
See you and me from a new point of view -
without all the assumptions based on our epidermal layers.

I want -
I Want -
I WANT -
to go Home!

I want my body to match my passions.
Why can't I be a person of color too?
Why do I carry this oppressive cloak?
How do I make peace with my white guilt?
And how do I work to use my privilege for change?

Because
CHANGE
is certainly what we need.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment